A good definition of professional bodies (PB) can be found online. This essentially identifies PB’s as organisations that professional individuals join. These bodies may:
- oversee the setting of and testing of professional examinations
- supports members and provides facilities to enable them to engage in continuing professional development throughout their career
- provide information, often in the form of journals and magazines
- provide networks that can enable members to engage with each other, such as online forums
- identify and communicate codes of conduct that professionals would be expected to follow
They can also be involved in any disciplinary matters relating to the professional either in a passive or active role which in turn may have an effect on their membership or employment depending on the outcome.
So, essentially, PB’s are organisations that can be involved in training, testing, supporting the professional in their day to day employment, providing them with information and in disciplining them.